Thursday, September 25, 2014

I Like Myself!!



I continued guidance lessons with second grade this week and we have had a wonderful time together.  Our focus for this week has been self-esteem and the students' 'uniqueness.'  I began the lesson by reading I Like Myself, which is written by Karen Beaumont and illustrated by David Catrow (Ms. R's favorite illustrator!).  This rhyming book engages students and helps them realize that we are ALL wonderful, even if we have flaws.  They are encouraged to 'like' themselves too.  After reading, students were given a template of a flower and asked to identify FIVE traits about themselves that they like.  


I showed them my example and asked them to create their own.  This student likes his family, reading, baseball, jumping on trampolines, and dancing.



This student told us that he likes reading, writing, and art; kittens; I Spy and Sea Life books; and soccer.


After labeling, coloring, and cutting, each student was given a 'stem' cut from dark green construction paper.  I borrowed this lesson from Professional School Counseling.  I loved this activity and I plan to use it with first grade when I see them.

Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment