Wednesday, December 3, 2014

My Mouth is a Volcano!

Younger elementary students often have trouble with interrupting and 'keeping their words in.'  Let's face it, adults can also have this same problem at times...wink, wink...


I recently read My Mouth is a Volcano by Julia Cook with my second grade students.  Ms. Cook is a former elementary school counselor who became a well-known and talented children's book author.  More information about her can be found HERE!

I begin my lesson by reading My Mouth is a Volcano and throughout we discuss different times that Louis has trouble has trouble with self-control.


After we read, we discuss several 'solutions,' or things that the students can do, to 'keep their words in.'  I found a page from TEACHERS PAY TEACHERS that focuses on this lesson.


This student suggested holding it in, waiting your turn, and rolling up your tongue.



This student said that it's a good idea to hold her breath, count to 30, or put her hand over her mouth.

I personally struggle with not interrupting at times, and I might try some of the students' ideas myself.  

Have a great week!
Mrs. Muller

No comments:

Post a Comment